"Tell me about yourself" - How to answer this interview question
The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business Office of Career Management offers advice about how to answer such an open ended question as "tell me about yourself."
Executive recruiters also weigh in on how they want future employees to answer the question, and a sample interview is shown to demonstrate an answer.
- Answer the question chronologically
- Give results and only topics that relate to the job
- Walk through your background and why you made the decisions you've made thus far in your career
- What you are doing to meet you career goals
- Avoid personal information
- Demonstrate accomplishments
- Keep answers to ~2 minutes in length